Cream Cheese Caramel Brownies
Makes about 18
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 (4-ounce) bars unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3¼ cups sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with foil, letting excess extend over sides of pan; spray foil with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, cook butter and chocolate over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat 3 cups sugar, 5 eggs, and vanilla with a mixer at medium-high speed until thick and pale, about 6 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Gradually add flour, beating until combined. Stir in butter mixture. Reserve 1 cup batter in a small bowl. Spread remaining batter into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, remaining ¼ cup sugar, and remaining egg with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls onto batter in pan. Drizzle with caramel. Drop reserved 1 cup batter by heaping tablespoonfuls onto caramel. Gently swirl together cream cheese mixture, caramel, and top layer of batter with the tip of a knife.
- Bake until center is set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan, and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.