German Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) fi rmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs (200 grams), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose fl our
- ¼ cup (21 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ cups (360 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 6 ounces (170 grams) sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Coconut-Pecan Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: flaked coconut, chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together fl our, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate until combined. Divide batter between prepared pans, smoothing tops with an off set spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 2 cups Creamy Chocolate Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a medium open star tip (Wilton No. 4B). Pipe a thick border around top edge of 1 cake layer. Using an off set spatula, spread half of chilled Coconut-Pecan Filling inside piped border. Top with remaining cake layer. Pipe Creamy Chocolate Frosting in a swirl pattern around top edge of cake layer, and spread remaining Coconut-Pecan Filling inside border. Spread remaining Creamy Chocolate Frosting on sides of cake. Garnish with coconut and pecans, if desired.
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
CREAMY CHOCOLATE FROSTING
Makes about 4 cups
1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup (21 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
⅔ cup (160 grams) sour cream
5 cups (600 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- In the bowl of stand mixer fi tted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add cocoa, and beat at low speed until combined. Beat in sour cream until smooth. With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
Coconut Pecan Filling
Makes about 4 cups
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
1 cup (247 grams) evaporated milk
½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
3 large egg yolks (57 grams)
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1½ cups (180 grams) packed sweetened fl aked coconut
1 cup (113 grams) chopped pecans
2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, evaporated milk, butter, egg yolks, and salt until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.