Grilled New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp Recipe
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ pounds peeled and deveined large fresh shrimp (tails on if desired)
- Wooden skewers
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Grilled French bread, to serve
In a medium bowl, whisk together bay leaves, garlic, Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt, paprika, red pepper, and black pepper. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream until combined.
Thread shrimp onto skewers, about 5 shrimp per skewer. Place in a large shallow dish. Pour marinade over shrimp, moving skewers around until well coated. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Remove shrimp, reserving marinade.
In a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a boil over medium-high heat; cook for 3 minutes. While whisking constantly, gradually add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted. Remove from heat.
Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat.
Add shrimp to pan, and grill until pink and firm, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve with marinade, lemon wedges, and bread.