Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Makes approximately 3 dozen pies
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin purée
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Buttered Rum Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, sugars, canola oil, egg, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, whisking to combine.
- Using a 1-inch spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, spacing at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake until puffed and edges are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread approximately 2 teaspoons Buttered Rum Filling on the flat side of half of cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat side down. Roll edges in toffee bits, if desired. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Buttered Rum Filling
Makes approximately 1½ cups
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon butter flavoring
- ¼ teaspoon rum extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, approximately 3 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, flavoring, and extracts, beating until combined. Refrigerate until needed.