Provide that little piece of laid-back comfort you crave with these cream-filled classics.
- 1¾ cups unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1¼ cups butter and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg; beat until well combined. Beat in 2 teaspoons vanilla; scrape sides of bowl.
3. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and ½ teaspoon salt. Add oats mixture to butter mixture all at once, and beat at low speed just until combined, 30 seconds to 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Shape dough into about 36 (1¼-inch) balls (about 1½ tablespoons each), and place about 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
4. Bake until edges are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat mascarpone and remaining ½ cup butter at medium speed until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and beat at medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed.
6. Transfer filling to a piping bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe about 1½ tablespoons mascarpone filling onto flat side of half of cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve.