Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1¼ pounds ground mild Italian pork sausage
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen field peas with snaps
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 cups ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Garnish: fresh parsley, shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned. Drain well.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together cooked sausage, broth, beans, tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, peas, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours. Stir in pasta and vinegar. Cook, uncovered, until pasta is tender, about 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley and cheese, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: Adding dried pasta during the last 30 minutes of cooking prevents the pasta from overcooking and absorbing too much liquid.