Strawberry Skillet Pound Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1 pound (454 grams) fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (300 grams) plus 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1¾ teaspoons (8.75 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 10-inch round cake pan.
- Chop half of strawberries; cut remaining strawberries in half lengthwise.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 1½ cups (300 grams) sugar at high speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in chopped strawberries. Spoon batter into prepared skillet or pan, spreading evenly. Arrange strawberry halves on top, slightly pressing into batter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (24 grams) sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes in skillet or about 1 hour and 20 minutes in pan, covering with foil after 35 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon (12 grams) sugar.