- 2½ cups self-rising flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg, separated and white lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 tablespoons vanilla-flavored sugar
- Vanilla Bean Glaze (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, cream, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds. Add to flour mixture, and stir until dough is just combined.
4. Divide dough into two balls. On a floured work surface, roll half of dough into a 6½-inch circle; cut into 6 wedges. Repeat process for remaining dough.
5. Brush scones with egg white, and sprinkle with vanilla-flavored sugar. Place on prepared pan; bake until lightly browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on pan for 10 minutes; transfer to wire racks to let cool completely.
6. Spoon Vanilla Bean Glaze over cooled scones. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk, or more as needed
1. In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract, and buttermilk until desired consistency is reached.